Tuesday, September 7, 2010

What Would Your Brother Do?


...art courtesy of Robert Janz

"IN YOU BEGINS AND ENDS
THE UNIVERSE." Lorca

This is the week that marks that horrific day, 9/11. I remember my brother visiting Durham in November of 2001 at my small apartment. I remember looking out through the glass door which opened onto a corner screened porch. I was surprised he wasn't coughing. He had come for an interview by the Raleigh News and Observer and for an exhibit of his drawings as an eyewitness to 9/11. (He had been walking peacefully towards the the World Trade Center on a mission to buy a muffin). I told him how I'd been volunteering in the library that fatal morning when the librarian came to tell me the news. She asked, "What would your brother do? Would he want you to go home or stay here working?" I said he'd want me to stay. As we sat talking on my couch about the show he would have in Raleigh, he looked through the drawings in his portfolio. He came upon one which didn't belong. Puzzled, he commented, "I don't know how this got in here. It's an old drawing." The minute I saw it, I knew. It was the U. You can see in the above why it is my favorite of my collection. Amidst the building hateful rhetoric, I keep in mind this beauty and pass it along to you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...may the blessings of chance findings be yours...

2 comments:

  1. ...from Dian in Roanoke:

    Thanks for always keeping beauty and serenity as your calling cards. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a day i'll never forget. too bad so many of us have not learned the lesson taught that day; the evil that comes from hatred and bigotry, and the peace and joy that comes from love and understanding. will

    ReplyDelete