Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What I Didn't Say


Collecting imaginative business names is a favorite walkabout hobby: All Washed Up Laundry. Quartier's Hair Salon--for people who buy rings at Cartier's? Bark Place. Last Thursday I went to Cucina Gourmet. I assume Cucina means kitchen in Italian. The second part, Gourmet, is French. Did this indicate I would be eating French food in the kitchen? I decided to eat at the pretend outdoor tables. There were four copper-topped square tables with two chairs each flanking the doorway. I had plenty of time for settling in with Pellegrino (Italian) and baguette (French). I was enjoying the landscape. Several seniors were playing cards with one encourager wandering behind them checking out the hands. There was a group of robust OpEd afficianados and a man supposedly reading. The free music was previewed by a bass player. It reminded me of a mall in Montreal where a pianist filled an hour with nocturnes and mazurkas. A woman (I think) came to sit at the table closest to mine. She drank from a carton of orange juice she had not purchased at Cucina Gourmet. This is against my principles. If one is going to use an establishment's tables, one should buy the establishment's goods is my view. I noted she had angel pins, a Star of David necklace, and a Japanese tote. I thought of the many stories I could tell her on those topics and many she doubtless could give in return. A security guard passed routinely, same guard six times. Suddenly the woman directed her gaze my way and exclaimed, "Leave me alone! If you bother me again, I'll get the security guard!!" Whoa. Take a deep breath. I didn't say anything. I considered an apology for disturbing her peace or even an "I don speek Angleesh," but I was too floored and she was a lot bigger than I and the security guard was now on the other side of the court. I ate slowly instead. She waited a few minutes and restarted, "Stop following me! If you don't stop bothering me, I'll call the security guard." At that point I really felt sad. I wanted to tell her, "I draw angels; I lived in the Jewish Sector of Jerusalem as a child; my granddaughter is studying Japanese; we have a lot in common you and I." I'm disappointed at this lapse in reaching out. I should have risked asking, "You want half a muffin?" I should have tried. I should have bothered. On Sunday, I went to Riverside Church where I heard Jesse Jackson preach, the man who empowered millions with his, "I am SOMEBODY!" refrain. How I wish she could have been there, too. She could have recovered, been roused, healed from whatever damage made her so private and we could have been courageous SOMEBODIES together. She was a good lesson I'll remember always. In her honor, you won't catch me holding back. In Jesse's honor I will be SOMEBODY and I will bother.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
...may the blessings of second chances be yours...


2 comments:

  1. These N.Y. stories are priceless. It's as though the city was waiting your arrival so it could shower you with material for your upcoming book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting new york minutes; a place full of adventures and surprises. thanks for sharing some of yours. will

    ReplyDelete