Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What the Fortune Cookie Said

<---courtesy of Keep the A's in Oakland
***********************************
*******
It was a hand-me-down fortune cookie. Yes, people there are folks in the world who don't read the fortunes or eat the cookies. Well, I'm not big on the cookie to tell the truth. It doesn't compare to Pepperidge Farm Sausalito. However, I never pass up a fortune. This fortune read: "You are going to take a vacation." Vacation?? As I understand it Noo Yawk is the Center of the Universe (a group on Facebook says so). I gave the idea some thought and decided I'd take my vacation right here in the Big Apple and have vacation food. What better vacation food is there than junk food? So I took the #6 to 33rd. On the way, I helped a couple of German tourists get on the right subway. Did that make me feel like a Noo Yawker or what?! Actually, they asked me one of the two questions I can answer, "Ver do vee catch the six?" I was afraid to find out what the ultimate destination was as I only know the Bronx, the Statue of Liberty, Daffy's, and two feet into Queens. On the subway, the populace was reading the tabloids (yuck). I looked over the shoulder of a young man reading the sports instead. He noticed and commented, "You don't like the Yankees, do you?" I apologized and told him, "I joined the Keep the A's in Oakland Faceboook group." Did he ever come alive wanting to know if the Jack London Square new stadium proposal would bring in enough revenue. I replied with my vast knowledge, "Duh. Imagine! Ferry crossings from San Francisco, Luxor water taxis. It could be in the top ten lists for visitors to the City Across the Way. The old Raiders' home stadium would look over in envy and pride. I'd definitely find a train to take me there." He exclaimed, "I would, too! The best game I've ever seen was the A's playing the Yankees. All that drumming!!!" He caught me mentally enquiring if he rooted for the A's. "You're too polite. Yeah, I rooted for the A's."
I am looking forward to my next hand-me-down cookie. The last one intended just for me read: "You are a very nice man."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...may the blessings of inanimate objects directing your life with joy be yours...

2 comments:

  1. I can't get enough of these Nu Yawk stories..keep em coming! Great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for taking us along on your manhattan vacation - nice story. will

    ReplyDelete