Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Since You Asked


My grandson asked, "If you were to pick a day in history you remember well, which would it be?" I thought over my choices: the Cuban Crisis; the fall of the Berlin Wall; the inauguration of the first Catholic president. His assassination was certainly a staggering event as I was on the Judah streetcar in San Francisco on the way to a pre-natal visit when I heard the news. On a brighter side, the first words uttered on the moon thrilled me. However, none of these compared to one day in May. 
   My father had been assigned earlier in the year of 1945 to Jerusalem. Our family was staying temporarily at the American School of Oriental Research, overlooking the Mount of Olives. Dr. Nelson Glueck, an archaeologist and friend, came to the door one day and whispered to my mother, "The war is over." And then he left. She turned to me, her eyes wide, "The war is over!!" I knew what that meant as for the two years previous my dad had been assigned by the U.S. State Dept. to Angra do Heroismo, a city in the Azores where the Army and Navy soldiers made our house their, "Home away from home." I had overheard many a conversation about the "European Theater," the losses of people we had known and I had once slipped onto a plane full of wounded soldiers on their way back to the States. The horrors of war were branded in my mind and remain vivid all these decades later. Being only six, I didn't register the date or time but I remember clearly the sudden optimism, the feeling thatnow things would be "all better." I remember it was the month of May because that was my mother's birthday month and somehow the celebration became mixed with the personal joy we had. My mother often remarked that Rabbi Glueck's reaction to the news was vastly different from people dancing and shouting in the streets but I felt the same way--
stunned.  There have been momentous days in my life but none have compared to that very quiet announcement by a man who would years later give the benediction at the swearing in ceremony of President John F. Kennedy.



...may the blessings of good memories 
and learned lessons be yours...
Sketch by Halit

2 comments:

  1. Bravo! Wonderful post. You brought that period of time to life with your first hand experience. I am sure that would have been my choice of "biggest world events" too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seeing as how i can't sign you out of this site so that i can sign-in and comment, you will have to say it for me: good memories of a great day in history, i also remember it well, and fondly so. i was living in norfolk where my father was stationed, after returning to the us from the campaign in italy. it was a beautiful sunny day and i was standing outside in it when the news came to us on the radio (no tv yet) - oh happy day, it was. thanks for the memories. c will

    ReplyDelete