Tuesday, August 10, 2010

"Do Not Be Afraid, Little Flock"


The Aviary at Central Park Zoo
Photo Credit: Henry Hobbs
~~~~~~~~
"We are at work in more than 50 nations across Africa, Asia, Latin America and North America,
protecting wild landscapes that are home to a vast variety of species from butterflies to baboons."
WCS
~~~~~~~~~


Some people are very anti-zoo. They talk knowledgeably about the early death rate and the apathy of the corralled animals. They compare the cooped-upness to the loss of freedom human counterparts experience in old age homes with overworked attendants. I'm more of an, "I know why the caged bird sings" type. I'm not out to convince anybody. I'm simply telling my experiences and why my, "You belong in a zoo" decal was my favorite on my little white Justy side window. I love going to the zoo on days packed with school field trips. Recently at the Bronx Zoo, I thought it was wonderful how small peacocks strolled like guest hosts around the picnic tables. I wondered if any of the youngsters would have an opportunity to travel to places where they could see peacocks in the wild. The best scene that day, though, was up the trail aways. I was planning to watch the giraffes, so elegant, so graceful, when suddenly I came upon a hilly field of flowers reminiscent of Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite. Frolicking in a game of catch-me-if-you-can with more peacocks were dazzling zebras. The children and I were struck breathless by the sight of these playful zebras. Teachers were explaining how zebras have stripes right on their skin, not just on the fur. Later, at the giraffe section, I was reminded of the San Francisco Zoo where the giraffes have a large barn style house. Watching them chew on the eaves in a tooth cleaning activity was a delight. The lofty serenity of these creatures has always appealed to me. In the Charm Department, I would put the Mill Mountain Zoo which overlooks the city of Roanoke, Virginia on the same Blue Ridge with the Roanoke Star. I used to look up at the star at night and think about the animals bedded down, protected from nocturnal predators. At the Sequoia Zoo in Eureka, a long-time resident, Bill the Chimp, was visited by Jane Goodall. It was known how he disliked women with designer handbags and often threw you know what at them. He was extra special nice to Jane and she to him. At the North Carolina Zoo, I never tired of the polar bears diving. And at the Prospect Park Zoo, my new friend for life is an alpaca.Such colors and textures, far better than any photo! Here is what the website says of her home: "Welcome to the farm! Barbados sheep, pygmy goats, and alpacas are some of the friendly animals you’ll find here. Beside the barn, a picturesque garden with a waterfall, wooden bridge, and pond attracts local ducks and butterflies." The Wildlife Conservation Society is in charge of the zoos and aquarium. I am grateful to the Society for bringing us all this beauty and surprising facts. Maybe some of the children will grow up to be wildlife advocates. Maybe some will become virulently anti-zoo. It's certain that no one leaves unmoved. The "City that never sleeps" has a plenitude of domesticated pets. "Mine" are given a bit more room with wildflowers as their carpeting.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
,,,may you have the touch of a tiny or large beast in your day today...

4 comments:

  1. Yet another beautiful post. I'm not extremely big on animals but reading your post makes me want to go up to Mill Mountain Zoo and enjoy the peace and serenity of the Blue Ridge. I want to view Roanoke and sit atop the mountain close to our Star.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...from Dian in Roanoke:

    I just bet that the Snow Leopard, the Red Panda and all the Otters at the Mill Mountain Zoo have a pajama party tonight to celebrate being in this thoughtful blog. They have a carpeting of pine needles up there to frolic on! I also feel like they might just wear flax pajamas from Gone Coco, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...from George on his rounds:

    I'm a zoo person! The Toledo Zoo, I'll have you know, is one of the country's finest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like animals, too. that's why i joined the club. will

    ReplyDelete