Tuesday, December 14, 2010

"Saturday in the Park"


Last Saturday in Central Park I saw several sights I had never seen before. One of them was at least five hundred Santas jogging and strolling along yelling, "Ho! Ho! Ho!" At one point I decided to give Daff a "transportation call" to tell her about this. When a robust elf saw me on the phone, she dashed over and shouted into it, "She's on the naughty list!!!!" I started laughing so hard I could hardly get on with the call. Someone remarked that it was the Santas Union on strike. In actuality, it was Santa Con, a gathering of Santas each year for festivities to ready them for the big event. Further along, under a bridge, a small choir of young people were singing devout carols. It was so encouraging to see something with a reminder of what this time of year is all about. In the Overheard Dept, earlier in the week, I was surprised when a man at the Barking Dog Luncheonette ordered, "Two cokes, two coffees, and an egg cream." I thought he was going to be having company. But no. Instead he started punching numbers on his phone and screeching, "I want a person! I want a person!" When he finally reached a person, he said, "You are being very obnoxious to me!" 'Twas not the season to be jolly for him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All is quiet in the teepee
but she catches the sight of wee eyes peeking at the night sky.
Will Grandmother Bear meet the Holy Child and sing a lullaby?
There are what her daughter calls artifacts by the bedroll,
items found or made at school: an Ojo de Dios charm; a pebble;
a drawing, not so crude as might be expected from one so young, of an angel
with a feather crown rather than a halo.
It is a scene of domestic tranquility, everything tidily in its place
all cherished because of not being of great number.
"Goodnight, my little one. Christmas comes soon."
"Goodnight, God bless." is whispered in the chill air.
Across the great prairie, exultation hangs from the dark canopy like
large golden ornaments spinning peacefully,
prophesying,
the Morning Star less distant here.

~~~~~~

...may the blessing of anticipation be yours...

St. Labre Indian School supplied the gift wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment