Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Advent*ure

...from the St. Labre Indian School newsletter...
~~~~~~~~~~

My favorite gift as a child was a songbook. I received one a year: Stephen Foster, Burl Ives, Chad Mitchell, 51 Songs You Like to Sing, opera arias, and Thomas Moore are among those I remember. In
one of these was The Indian Christmas Carol. Having a part-Apache paternal grandmother and an Irish maternal grandmother, it was natural that had a bent for blending Native American imagery with Christian. I wrote my first Christmas poem when I was 16 to go in a card and never stopped. Often there was a thought that brought to mind that blend. I think the reason St. Labre Indian School captures my imagination is the little children not discarding the Crow/Northern Cheyenne way while learning the Jesus way. In the Christian calendar, Advent, the season of the Coming has begun. The first candle of four has been lit all over the world. Coincidentally, I found a poem written in 1983. A sign! So here in The Treehouse, I begin my Advent journey. Walk with me!

...from The Indian Christmas Carol...

" Twas in the moon of wintertime When all the birds had fled,

That mighty GitchiManitou

Sent angel choirs instead;

Before their light the stars grew dim,


O children of the forest free, O sons O sons of Manitou,

The Holy Child of earth and heav'n

Is born today for you. Come kneel before the radiant boy,

Who brings you beauty, peace and joy."


Entreaty (1983)

"With our hearts quiet before God, amidst the world's anger, " he prays.

Head bowed, I think of the earliest hours of human history

and try to recapture the awe , the spaciousness, the hope.

"We are called to belong to Him.

Go out this week, and compile

a catalogue of good news;

turn away from the rocky ground

on which no seed will sprout."

How easily it seems I can forget this long view.

How easily I am ensnared in the

trivialization of beauty and goodness.

How often I have used the word "wonderful"

without remembering its companions:

Councillor, Prince of Peace.


Renewed by this prayer,

I attempt once again to bring myself

with a quiet heart before God.

Stay with me, small moment of meditation.

I am in need of thee.

...may the Great Spirit guide your advent and bring you peace...

2 comments:

  1. Well, reading your wonderful poem was "almost" as good as having it delivered to my booth in Roanoke..but not quite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...from Dian, a good friend of Healing Woman:

    I love advent and enjoy anticipating the goodness that lies ahead!

    ReplyDelete