Sunday, March 21, 2010

Resting in the Light


On a chilly September night of '07 in Eureka, California, a moment came that was the kind which can only be called transformational. I had been looking casually for a Rumi poem I had read in Roanoke in a book I had borrowed from Susan--something about a "guest in the house." After several attempts with no results, I clicked on a website which threw the whole idea of Rumi out of my mind and drew me into an entirely different world, a world I was perfectly attuned to. It was Sondra Ball's and Mario Cavallini's Autumn Leaves, an online poetry zine with a Native American/Quaker slant. It appeared the couple lived near the Delaware River. The combination of their outlook, heritage, and a wonderful togetherness marriage was irresistible to me and I started reading the poems dating back to '99 and continued late into the wee hours. Every issue had several of Sondra's poems and children's budding writings. I liked her haiku and winter poems best and became enamoured with the Delaware River. I could imagine her dancing in the firelight to maybe the music of Robert Mirabal. I saw I could submit a poem by e-mail. I rarely submit poems as I am picky about the company I keep. However, this was a place and person so on my wavelength that I immediately started typing. The response was prompt and cheerful. I suggested to my cousin Karen and Randy Walker, a Roanoke poet, that they also submit. They did. I began writing more poetry with Sondra's inspiration in mind and sending favorites of hers to friends. I had often used Native American images in Christmas poems, a natural consequence of my beliefs but I wrote my first truly Great Spirit/peacemaker poem the next month, Who Will Mend the Heart of the Heartmender?, and for my Christmas poem a haiku drifted in about the "cloud children." I felt I had come into my own, my home territory. I loved Sondra's "cover letters" for her twice a month poetry fest. They were full of the natural world where she and Mario lived and hiked. I looked forward to sending her something once in awhile. When I read of her death, so courageous, too sudden, I thought of how briefly I had known her. Surely, though, she was one of my oldest friends.

for Sondra

The Dayflower blooms,
its gentle life soon over.
But oh! the beauty
~~~~~~~~~
from Mario's site:

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Fund for Sufferings, a resource of Mickleton Friends Meeting to assist individuals in temporary difficulty. If you choose to make a contribution, write the check to "Mickleton Monthly Meeting" with "Fund for Sufferings" on the memo line, and send it to:

Mickleton Monthly Meeting
P.O. Box 231
Mickleton, NJ 08056-0231
...may the blessings of the river passages be yours...

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. I am still waiting for that book of poetry I'm hoping you will publish soon. I'm sure we will see many Sondra inspired samplings among the selection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute to Sondra and Mario, and to your relationship with them and their Autum Leaves poetry zine. thanks for sharing this with us, your fans. will

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sondra was a dear friend of ours too. She will be sorely missed, but as you said, she will live on in many ways- her poetry, her grandchildren her friends. I am thankful for our friendship and our continued friendship with Mario. -Thank you for the tribute. -

    ReplyDelete