Tuesday, January 26, 2010

At Joey's

tees: from the mimsey collection
map: courtesy of the mta
~~~~~~~~~~
"Tiding?" She was a careworn middle aged woman with a New Delhi accent working in a store I had obviously been led to. My outing that day was to 34th Street to see if I could find some inexpensive souvenir tees to donate to Jan Hus Church's homeless outreach. I was standing in front of a window which clearly displayed, "t-shirts two for a dollar." I rubbed my eyes to make sure I had seen correctly. Even with my deplorable math skills I knew that translated to 50 cents apiece. Ten dollars would go a long way. I went inside and discovered more tables piled high with tees, one with a sign, "1 Dollar." These were decorated in a variety of New York themes. I said to myself, "Wouldn't it be nice for a homeless person to have a brand new t-shirt with a design of the city that was helping him or her get a foothold in society? I grabbed eight of the plain black fifty centers and four of the New York. On the way to the counter I saw a winter cap for a dollar and three pairs of cozy socks for two. Why not stretch the budget a teense while I was there? As I placed my purchases in front of the cashier I said, "This is wonderful! This can be part of my tithing." She stopped to ask what "tiding" was. I said,"It's what you give to God each month, the first part of anything you receive--money, time, gifts. God doesn't need it, of course, but it's a lesson in priorities. God first." She was intrigued by the idea so I told her the shirts would go to homeless outreach. I continued, "When I lived in Eureka, California where there was a large homeless population, I would buy from the St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Shop and take the clothes over to the Friends (Quakers) Thrift Store but those were used clothes. With these I can donate brand new ones!" She was caught up in my excitement and asked, "What God is this?" I replied, "The God of All Things Known and Unknown." "Ah," she said, satisfied. I hoped for eavesdroppers as I waved goodbye with a, "See you next month!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
..may the blessings of radical generosity be yours...

2 comments:

  1. This is exactly the kind of story I had hoped to hear from you! NYC is full of wonder and enchantment. This is where you belong. Every day will reveal new and exciting challenges for you in your quest to help in whatever way is needed. NY is a better place, now that you are there my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. new york; my kind of town - where else could you enjoy all this, an more. thanks for the reminder. will

    ReplyDelete