Monday, November 23, 2009

Little Thank You's All in a Row

52 lines of repeating "ing" endings is long for the Blob but that's what I wrote one year, a poem I called A Song for Thanksgiving. I started out to write one stanza and then got carried away. Sound familiar? It began to read like a gratitude journal, the kind people who are grieving are supposed to attempt. I remember when I did that kind of journal. I only came up with 5 entries a day. That's what the zombiness of grief can do to the mind. 10 times 5 entries is what comes about from joy rather than grief. Since my poem became a rhapsody, too long to post, it occurs to me I can put on my Catalyst's Cap and give you a few lines which you, my lovely readers, can add to. Maybe your song lines will double mine. One hundred four!

~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you children, for the smiles you bring,
their readiness unfaltering.
Thank you, books, for your remembering.
Thank you, friends, for your nurturing.
Thank you, music, for melodies enduring
long past the first clear note's piping.
Thank you, hearth, bright flames leaping--
Look! ghosts of old stories merging, receding.
Thank you, loved ones, for your thoughts while traveling,
our paths sometimes forking
but our faiths coinciding--
your words of calm wisdom designing
a sampler of patterns in varied, rich stitching.
Thank you, Earth, for your sheltering.
Thank you, stars in your wanderings
for fixing a course to lead us in.
Thank you, seas, for the might of wild churning,
the gentle lap in coves at dawning.
Thank you, clouds, for art works progressing
from flowers to lions to elephants balancing,
from dogs to fleet unicorns to galleons adventuring.
Thank you, days, for schedules in growing:
the calendar turns with the months' glad conspiring.
The world is so grand, so full and so pleasing.
I cherish Life's bounties, its sweet gifts unceasing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
...may the blessings of catching tiny o-happy-day surprises be yours...

art on a card from susannaruth


1 comment: